5th International Conference on Small and Decentralised Water and Wastewater Treatment Plants - Conference SWAT 2018
The 5th International Conference on Small and Decentralised Water and Wastewater Treatment Plants (SWAT Conference 2018) took place in August, 26th – 29th, 2018 in Thessalonica, Greece, and was co-organised by the Department of Chemistry (Laboratory of Chemical & Environmental Technology) and the Department of Civil Engineering (Division of Hydraulics and Environmental Engineering) of the Aristotle University of Thessalonica and the Food Technology Department of the Alexander Technological Educational Institute of Thessalonica, under the aegis of the Ministry of Environment and Energy.
As previous editions, the Conference has been designed to encourage the exchange of ideas and knowledge between diverse groups of the scientific and technical community (check the conference programme here), dealing with the emergent current issues of small water and wastewater treatment plants. The present edition of the Conference has been focused on showing the best available drinking water and wastewater treatment techniques as applied to small municipalities, communities, settlements, hotels and industrial plants, based on environmental, financial, technical and social criteria.
In sum, the Conference Proceedings included 147 papers classified in 9 thematic areas:
- Small and decentralised wastewater treatment plants and management (18 papers).
- Drinking water treatment and management for small settlements – municipalities (23 papers).
- Urban and industrial wastewater treatment (27 papers).
- Natural systems for wastewater treatment (13 papers).
- Sludge and waste management (21 papers).
- Water quality, monitoring and pollution issues (15 papers).
- Recycling, reuse and reclamation of effluents (9 papers).
- Resource recovery and circular economy (16 papers).
- Legislation and policy issues (5 papers).
Selected papers were presented orally or displayed in poster format.
Water2Return project paper was selected to be included in the Conference proceedings and to be presented orally on August, 28th session, what has represented a great opportunity to contact relevant stakeholders and enlarge our network.
Well known Greek and foreign scientists, researchers and relevant stakeholders (from research, technical, construction and consulting companies) participated at the Conference, as well as representatives from local authorities.